Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Abbott, Megan - The End of Everything

Title: The End of Everything
Author: Megan Abbott
Year: 2011
Genre: Fiction- teen
Pages: 246
Rating: 6/10

I have a hard time connecting with this book. It's teeming with teenage lust and yearning. The 
primary focus is on a dynamic duo of 13 year olds Evie and Lizzie. Lizzie, being the narrator, tells the story of the two of them growing up together, the almost melding of lives they have shared. 
Being a non-sexual person, I don't understand a majority of this book in a way that I can relate. I mean I understand the words the author is weaving. Ms. Abbott is much like a poet. The whole book feels like a poem, every word chosen carefully. She even allows for plot twists that will carry the reader all the way to the final page before realizing the truth of it all. 
Overall I enjoyed the story, but feel a semi-relief for finishing. I feel as if I can close the book and feel lucky to never have to experience it again. This isn't a bad thing but more of a wholeness. 

I would not recommended this book for those who would be triggered by themes of sexual abuse, physical abuse, incestual notions, and even small glimpses of self harm. 

As Jennifer McMahon says on the back cover, "This is a book that gets under your skin and stays there". 

No comments:

Post a Comment